First day of school ... really this time!

Less than five minutes after walking on campus, Elizabeth and Nathan are surrounded by new friends. "Are you new? ... My name is so-and-so... Do you want to play together at recess? ... Are you sad?" Just as immediately, another parent walks up to me and introduces herself. She is from Peru. She asks how old my children are and who their teachers are. "Oh, she's the best. You are so lucky. I'm around every morning. Just come and ask me if you have any questions." Wow! Friendly!

Elizabeth allows herself to be led off by her new friends, who kill time before class begins by running around the school's main courtyard, where a teacher's assistant holds court, keeps the peace and bestows hugs to those in need. Nathan is feeling shy and nervous and hovers just behind me. He is silent and sad and crying when I leave him, but he bravely marches into the classroom as the bell rings. Elizabeth just waves and blows me a kiss as she lines up with her new "best" friends. They've already coached her where to store her lunch things. Her teacher comments, "She already knows the ropes!"

Dane and I slip off to the pre-K playground where we meet another mom who, like me, has older children who start class at 7:30 and a pre-schooler who doesn't start class until 9:30. We thought we might just kill those two hours by playing at the playground or visiting the library. After two hours of fussing and whining ("I'm hungry! I'm sleepy! I'm bored!"), we decide never again. We'd rather sit in traffic than brave two hours of waiting with pre-schoolers.

Nathan: "I don't want to go to school"
See that thing Nathan is doing with his hands? That is his "I'm miserable" gesture.
He flicks his fingers into the palm of his hand over and over.
Generally it precedes red eyes and sad, silent tears.
Elizabeth woke up ready: "I can't wait to meet my new friends!"
Dane trying to kill the TWO HOURS between the twins' class time and the pre-K class time. Tomorrow, Michael will take the twins to school on the way to work, and Dane and I will go later instead of trying to hang out at the school.  

Everyone was all smiles at the end of the day. The schedule needs some working on, but we'll get it right eventually. We're back home now for snacks and swimming. And I can't wait for cocktail hour. 

Dane is dismissed from class all smiles and covered in cake crumbs,
following a birthday celebration in class.  
The school courtyard where students meet up to play before school starts.
Elizabeth's classroom is first on the left; Nathan's is next door to the right.
Waiting for Ade in the carpool lane.
Behind the children, a vendor sells snacks to the children. 

Comments

  1. It was great meeting you today! I read your story about the culture shock and we can totally relate but don't worry it gets better or at least the stages get farther apart :)

    Hopefully we can meet up sometime, since we both work we don't get out that much but the weekends are good for us!
    Shana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I am Shana Mom-----I live in the U P of Michigan where it was 48 this morning. I look at Shana and Matt' daily. I will check in on yours also------------

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome, Shana's mom! My husband was born in Michigan so we are very glad to have you following us. Today, I am a worried momma. My first-grade son is having trouble adjusting to school. I just sent him off to school in tears. Ugh, it's like sending your own heart out into the world. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment