A few of my (least) favorite things.

What makes you uncomfortable? (Besides, reading this blog, says my insecure, inner voice.) As for me, I can't pin down just one thing, so I've started a list.
  1. Attention. I crave it, yet when I get it, I want it to stop. 
  2. Cocktail parties. I stink at idle chit-chat and mingling. Give me a nice sit-down dinner party any time. (Exception: Unless I know everyone at the cocktail party and then, never mind, it's fun.)
  3. Unfairness. I mean, come on, it's just... so unfair!
  4. Misunderstandings. Remember the American TV show from the 1970s, "Three's Company"? Mr. Furley was always walking in on Jack and Janet or Chrissy in some compromising situation and jumping to the wrong conclusion. That kinda stuff drives me nuts. 
  5. Parent-teacher conferences. I always feel like I'm the one in trouble.
  6. Airports. Especially airport security. I get nervous, smile way too much, and then I think I must look verrrrrry suspicious... which makes me more nervous. Sheesh. 
  7. Managing my in-home staff. For the first time in my life, I have people working full-time in my home. It's lovely not to have to do all the dirty work, but at the same time, I have to step up and manage these people. It's like Downton Abbey, minus Mr. Carson. I am uncomfortable (to say the least) with this position of authority, especially when I have to criticize or correct. And when you throw in a little cultural misunderstanding, I am really uncomfortable. Some might even say, completely lost. In those moments, I go to my room, shut the door and watch a little "Big Bang Theory." Because no matter how awkward I feel, I'll never be as bad as Howard Wolowitz.     
  8. The sound of gagging. My cook is pregnant. She has morning sickness... bad. There's nothing more uncomfortable than the sound of gagging coming from your kitchen. Who needs breakfast? Erm, not me. 
  9. Decisions. I make decisions in one of two ways: split-second or not at all. It's those "not-at-all" decisions that make me uncomfortable. Especially when people are waiting for my decision. My new approach? "Let me sleep on it. I'll get back to you tomorrow." (or never.)
  10. Raw chicken. Raw meat in general. My husband thinks I'm nuts. "Hey!" I ask him, "have you ever had salmonella poisoning from something out of my kitchen?" I think not. Case closed. Nothing wrong with getting a little nutty about food safety.  
And these are just a few of my (least) favorite things. Now I'd love to hear from you. What makes you uncomfortable?

Comments

  1. All of the above I agree!
    Well here I go:
    1.Being bored
    2.Feeling caved in a golden cage
    3.Trying hard and having the feeling it's not coming back to you (uhm, losing weight...)
    4.Bad smell of well anything that smells bad
    5.My bad habit of biting my fingers
    6.Not having myself under control (see 3 :P) (but on sundays at the beach I love it :D)
    Well I guess that is it for now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The idea of #7, even though I haven't worked with anyone yet, keeps me awake at night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're anything like me, it will *only* take you about two years to start to feel kinda confident about what you're doing. So there's hope! ;-)

      Delete
  3. I seem to have a really hard time telling people if they are doing something wrong - unless its my kids, somehow I manage to over-correct them. I'd rather just redo the work myself than tell someone they didn't do it the way I wanted. My "right now" example is that my cleaning lady isn't cleaning my tile floors, but I'm too chicken to tell her my floors look awful and just do them myself.

    Actually I'm right there with you on all of these - except #10. I think growing up butchering your own meat makes me less sensitive to that sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, you understand completely. I would rather do it myself then mention it!

      Delete

Post a Comment