Words to live by.

I have no words of wisdom. No mottoes; no words to live by. You want a pithy phrase that sums up the meaning of life? Don't ask me.

So today's blog-every-day-in-May challenge had me stumped. The topic is to write about a "favorite quote (from a person, from a book, etc) and why you love it."

I got nothing.

And to be honest, all those re-pinned and re-posted quotes you see on Facebook and Pinterest framed with pictures of kitties or retro drawings are starting to bug me. They're too generic to be true. Too idealistic to be practical. Half are mis-attributed. And there's just too darn many of them! (My apologies to my Facebook friends who share these things. It's cute when you do it... really!)

I've know this topic was coming for a few days. It is not lack of thought or reflection that has me scratching my head. Maybe it betrays a certain shallowness on my part... a failure to engage in self discovery. What-ever.

But if you really press me, I will offer up one favorite. A quote that has inspired me since high school. No, it's not Thoreau or Shakespeare or even "Dear Abby". It's Caddyshack.

So here it is. My words of wisdom from Carl Spackler:
"And I say, 'Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know.' And he says, 'Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.' 
 So I got that goin' for me, which is nice."
Trust me. This is much better than the time I quoted Walden Pond in high school and told my parents they were living lives of "quiet desperation". They were quite offended.

Comments