My latest acquisition

On Friday, I was invited to a show by a trader from west Africa (we believe Ivory Coast or Senegal) named Sharif. He deals in antiques and traditional craftwork from the west and northern coasts of Africa, including masks, bronze castings, Dogon doors, antique "money" bracelets, etc.

Of course, I fell in love with the ugliest mask there, but I think he is beautiful. Please welcome the newest addition to my growing menagerie of African art! A water buffalo headpiece, carved out of wood and decorated with pigment.

My water buffalo mask.
Hanging on the wall.
In west Africa, masks are used to bring animal spirits to life to invoke their strength or protection for the tribe. The wearer of the mask is believed to lose his identity and become the spirit he represents. Per Wikipedia, "The mask wearer thus becomes a sort of medium that allows for a dialogue between the community and the spirits." The buffalo is symbolic of strength in some tribes. Masks are donned at weddings, funerals, rites of passage, religious ceremonies and celebrations.

This is Sharif. He is coming over to my house tomorrow, too, so I can shop
for a certain septuagenarian's birthday present.
  

Comments