Serious consideration.

Two days later, the itinerary is set. Michael's company wants me to fly to Lagos to have a "look-see." So I make an appointment to see a doctor -- one who specializes in preparing folks for overseas visits. Imagine Willie Nelson without the braids and in a doctor's coat. Now imagine that he is looking at you over the top of his glasses and repeatedly using the phrase, "I would give this move serious consideration ... very serious consideration."  Now picture me, smile pasted on my face, trying to hide the fact that I now know without a doubt that I am the worst mother in the world. How could I have even entertained the idea of moving my three young children to Nigeria? Where they could catch malaria or parasites or any of the other dread diseases that thrive in the jungles of sub-Saharan Africa! How could I be so stupid and selfish? 
Nevertheless, I am determined to keep an open mind, maintain my perspective and see for myself. 
So I schedule a follow-up appointment to get the shots (only after they've confirmed that I'm not pregnant ... duh!), and leave with a medical emergency pack (see contents below), and a freezer pack full of typhoid vaccines that I am to take every other day for the next 8 days. And lest I forget to take my live typhoid vaccines, note the handy orange wristband (and no, dear readers, I did not wear this fab-u-lous accessory to the to the office.)

Comments