White girls can't wrap.

A couple of weeks ago, I attended an event at the Nike Art Centre with other ex-pat ladies from Exxon Mobil. We spent the morning trying our hands at some ways that West Africans express themselves creatively: music, dancing, dyeing textiles, and ... the art of the head wrap.

West African ladies will wear head wraps any old day, but the fancier the occasion, the fancier the head wrap. They look like cloth crowns, and they are fabulous. (I also hear they are better than a ball cap for those bad-hair days.)




I noticed a long time ago that white men do not look good in traditional African clothing. Something wrong about the sloping shoulders or the pasty white skin against the vibrant African fabrics.

Well, now I know that white women do not look good in head wraps. Need proof? Here you go (I'm the one on the right). We look like little girls wearing our mother's lipstick and pearls. We want to be fabulous African women, but we just don't have what it takes.

My apologies to my unsuspecting friends. I mean, we're cute, yes!
But this look just ain't working for us.
That said, there are exceptions to every rule! If you think you may be the one white woman to buck the trend, here is a demonstration on how to tie one of your own:



Get wrapping!

Comments