"Sure, I can bake pumpkin bread for the class."

Big talk coming from a woman who has never made pumpkin bread in her life! Not only did I volunteer to bake for Dane's class, I went ahead and volunteered for Nathan's class as well. No pressure there. Just the potential for disappointing a combined total of about 50 kids on the the day before Thanksgiving.

So, pumpkin bread...

As with any new project, I started with the Internet, googling "cooking with pumpkin." (Now that I think of it, I probably should have googled "baking with pumpkin," but no matter.) I came across a handy little site about baking with fresh pumpkin that walked me through the process step-by-step with fool-proof pictures along the way. And I am just the fool to test that statement!

For the bread recipe, go to pickyourown.org, but here's my summary of how to prepare pumpkins for baking. It is, as my kids say, easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy, so give it a try!

Start with a nice, firm pie pumpkin with a good orange color.
Rinse it in cool water (or Minton's sterilizing solution if you live in Nigeria). 
Cut in half with a serrated knife.
Scoop out the guts and cut off the stem. 
Cut into large chunks and put in a covered, microwavable bowl with an inch or two of water.
Microwave for 15 to 20 minutes until flesh can be easily pierced with a fork.
Scrape flesh into blender or food processor, or puree with a hand-held beater. 
And there you have it... pumpkin "goo" ready for baking or freezing. 
The finished product was a hit! And all this baking finally put me in a holiday mood. 

Happy (belated) Thanksgiving, everyone.


Comments