Gunfight at the OK Corral?

Boom... Boom... Boom, boom... BOOM! (Lights out.)

It is Wednesday evening around 7 p.m., and I am convinced that I hear gunfire from the streets below. Michael is out of town, so I call my neighbor.

"Do you hear those booms? What is that?" I want to know.

My neighbor Kim assures me that it is the generator backfiring ... bad gas.

"Did you hear two big booms just before the power went off?" she asks.

"Yes."

"That was the generator."

"Ooooooooh. What a relief. I thought it was gunfight at the OK Corral!" (And in my mind, I was thinking, why did I bring my family here?!)

The kids and I go back to our evening routine: reading books, finishing up homework, pajamas and bedtime.

Elizabeth stays up a little later to read one more book (they're celebrating "Book-o-ween" at school). We're trying to read "Green Eggs and Ham" but the booms are getting louder and more frequent. They also sound like they are coming from all over the island, not just nearby. That's can't be the generator still.

"That's it," I announce to Elizabeth. "It's time to investigate."

I open the patio door and step outside, with Elizabeth behind my back. And then we see... Fireworks! Fireworks all over the island. What is going on?

It finally dawns on me. Diwali, the Hindu Festival of Lights. On Monday, I had coffee from a friend of mine from India, who mentioned this festival was coming up soon. And here it is!





According to the BBC, "For many Indians, this five day festival honours Lakshmi, the goddess of wealth. People start the new business year at Diwali, and some Hindus will say prayers to the goddess for a successful year.

"Lamps are lit to help Lakshmi, the goddess of wealth, find her way into people's homes.

"They also celebrate one of the Diwali legends, which tells of the return of Rama and Sita to Rama's kingdom after fourteen years of exile.

Lasting for five days, Diwali is a time for spring-cleaning the home, wearing new clothes, decorating buildings with festive lights, lighting firecrackers to chase away evil spirits, exchanging gifts (often sweets and dried fruits) and sharing traditional meals with friends and family.

So Happy Diwali, everyone! Be sure to check out our video, too (Elizabeth narrates).



Comments