By God's grace goes Victor.

There is a scene in Sound of Music when Captain Von Trapp and Maria are singing to each other:  "Nothing comes from nothing, Nothing ever could. So somewhere in my youth or childhood, I must have done something good..." While the lyrics go totally against my personal beliefs (I believe we don't always get what we deserve or deserve what we get), I can't help but feeling like God placed Victor with my family as some kind of a gift—one that I am not sure I entirely deserve.

Victor is from a village called Uyo in the Nigerian state of Akwa Ibom (see map below). He came to Lagos when he was 18 years old to find work. I asked him why there were no work in his village. He explained that when he was growing up, the governor was from another state, and did not invest in the growth of the area. Today, he says, it is different; the new governor is a native of his state, and the region is developing economically.


Nigerians believe that the streets of Lagos are paved in gold. What Victor found 18 years ago instead was a dirty, stinking, crowded city, and was shocked to see people preparing and eating food alongside open gutters (shocks me, too). Victor had relatives in Lagos who helped him find a job working in a restaurant. He was quickly promoted to manager, but since he was getting paid the same as the workers he was managing, he left that job. At the same time, Victor found God and, in his own words, was "born again." The restaurant where he worked served beer, which was another compelling reason for him to leave (what must he think of my fridge?).

Victor worked at the church for a while, then he started his own business selling bread. Eventually, he went to work for a cleaning agency. One of the flats he cleaned belonged to a British family. They noticed that he was sincere and hard-working, and offered him a full-time job, which he accepted. He stayed with that family for five years (the family even attended his wedding), until they moved away.

The next family he went to work for is ours! Victor was cautious about accepting a new position and tells me that he turned a couple of offers down. Then one day, Michael called him. He agreed to meet Michael and accepted the position as soon as it was offered.

God had called him to work for us, he says.

That's a lot of pressure. Why us? What makes us so special?

It's all well and good to know that God has a plan for us, but it's another thing entirely to look that plan in the face and wonder what's next. It's a little intimidating ... and frightening! (Will I live up to God's expectations? Will I ignore His call for my own selfish interests?)

I don't know what God's plan is for us, but I do know that I am grateful for the blessing that Victor is to our family. And that will have to do for now.

The kids adore Victor and run to greet him when we get home from school.
"Mr. Victor!" they shout as they jump and hang on him. 



Comments

  1. Awww, what a sweet post, Susan! Brought happy tears to my eyes! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. Yes, your help can make or break a stay in a foreign country. Sounds like you both chose well. It is always nice to see when the help not only works out, but becomes special to the family.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment