Where's a Marshall's when you need one?

I so wish I had snapped some pictures of Thursday's errand to shop for rugs, because it is really unbelievable what is normal around here. Guided by a friend and experienced ex-pat, we set off down the road to look for a rug vendor that used to set up "shop" on the side of the road just down the street from my flat. The vendor had moved on, but conveniently left a home-made banner with his new address: Sura Shopping Center, Lagos Island, Block 1A, Shop 2 (or 1, we couldn't quite make out the writing). For all you Houstonians, the shopping center looked like Harwin ... if Harwin had been beaten with a stick, dipped in acid, and then left outside for 20 years. In other words, it is not someplace you would stop for nothing back in the States. And yet, into the shopping center we pulled, through the security gates, where the two guards gave our driver big smiles and thumbs up for driving the longest car seen in these parts (our ridiculously large Ford Expedition), and right up to the crumbling curb of Block 1A, Shop 2 (or 1, I still don't know).

The window displays were not promising: avocado green, electric pink and mustard yellow acrylic shag rugs. Inside was not much better. But I did find a good quality, five-by-seven-foot, zebra print rug offered for N27,000 (about $175). We figured we could get him down to about N20,000 if we bought two, but that's a lot of money for, you know, "eh."

Cute, yes, but $175 cute? Eh. Especially when you consider
I'd need three of these things to cozy up the family room. 

We made one more stop in pursuit of rugs. The next vendor had set up shop under a freeway bridge. Yes, I am serious. Under a freeway bridge. He kept his extra inventory deep in the shadows of the bridge, and displayed his wares on ropes and metal bars scattered about. The floor was hard-packed dirt and broken concrete. He had an almost identical selection as the other guy, but he charged more (I mean, come on ... it's not like he has a lot of overhead!).

You know what? After today's shopping extravaganza, I decided that a rug for the family room can wait. Next trip home, I'll hit Marshall's and get exactly what I want for about the same price, and ship it back for free on the plane. A Christmas gift to myself.

Comments

  1. Oh Susan I love your posts. I actually love the Dump in Houston for rugs - we've gotten all but one there for our house. I'm hoping to fit in a trip there in my week back home for the new house here in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, Sarah. I'll try there first. Still can't believe you're gone. It will really hit me next trip home. =(

    ReplyDelete
  3. And The Dump is having a huge rug sale -- I just saw a commercial.

    So when do you come home?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment