Domestic issues.

Before we left for Lagos, my father-in-law gave me some good advice: "Follow your instincts," he said. "If something doesn't feel right, you'll know it." It did not take me long to recall that advice and then, just as quickly, I did my best to ignore it. Because my instincts were telling me that this nanny situation was just not going to work out. And I was afraid to do anything about it.

In all fairness, I never gave Pauline a fair shake. I've never had a nanny (or any full-time domestic help, for that matter), so I was not clear about my expectations from the start, and I am sure she felt that her role was a little bit undefined. She did her best, I think, to follow my lead, but in the end, it just annoyed me to have someone hovering over us at the breakfast table, or coming into a room to stand behind me as I disciplined one of the kids. Maybe I am just a jealous mother. Maybe I don't want someone to circumvent my authority. Plus, I want to be with my children. I don't want to send them down to the pool with a nanny. I want to go with them. This is what I quit my full-time job to do ... spend time with my children.

So without the children to look after, Pauline did whatever else she could to help around the house, including straightening the children's bedrooms and playroom, sterilizing the produce I brought home from the store, helping me prep food for meals and making the children lunch from time to time.  But I always had the impression that she was making busy work for herself. She simply did not have enough to do.

The final straw, frankly, was that in the three weeks I've known her, she made several, repeated requests for additional pay and benefits and other assistance. And even when I would decline a request, she would wait a week and then ask for it again. It got to the point that I was avoiding speaking to her for fear that she would ask me for something else. I appreciate that fact that my family is very fortunate, and I would like to help in any way I can, but give me a chance to volunteer my help. Develop some trust and rapport before you make demands. I may not have much management experience, but I do have a lot of experience as an employee, and even I know better not to ask for a raise after only three months on the job.

So in the end, after talking it over with new friends who are experienced ex-pats, rehearsing what I would say, clearing it with the hubby, and fortifying myself with a glass of wine, I built up enough backbone to do the deed last Friday. It was not fun. She was not emotional, but she did protest that I was not being fair. We agreed to pay her a month's salary as soon as she returns her security badge and vacates her quarters in the basement of the building. I reclaimed the key to our flat on the spot.

I told our steward Victor this morning. He seemed to understand, but later threw my guilt into major overdrive when he told me he was concerned for Pauline and wondered if she could come back part-time. I firmly said no. But now I feel terrible, and if this post sounds an awful lot like me trying to assuage my guilt, it is. But you know what? I think it is working.

I already feel better. I love having some privacy in the afternoons, and I am glad to have a bit of housework fall back on my shoulders. It's no good to be idle. I was starting to feel a lot like a character is a Jane Austen novel ... way too much free time on my hands to indulge my inner monologue. Busy is better.

Comments

  1. Hi Susan: What adventures you are having!! Jonas was just saying this morning how he wanted to be twin brother's with Nathan because then they could play all of the time. He also asked to go to your house - I had to explain you were in Africa and that might not be too possible. Good for you for standing your ground with the Nanny situation. You should be able to feel comfortable in your own home. I would have no idea what to do with a nanny either. I would take a house keeper though:) I really enjoy your posts! It is great to see the adventures you experience on the day to day basis. Janice (Jonas and Fay's Mom)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, I understand you totally. Don't feel bad about the nanny situation. If that gives you piece of mind and works best for you & your family, then you have to let her go. Plus, her asking additional benefits after only 3 weeks of working - is totally unacceptable. And it's better to let her go now, then later...I had similar situation with my cook - he was on probabational daily rate/salary for 3 months, but still demanding mid year bonus after only a month of working! Besides, he was not such a great cook to begin with. I am so glad, that he is not longer with us. It made a big difference for me not having him around ;))) Cheers, Aigul

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go girl! You may be in Lagos but it is still YOUR life and your kids to think about!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment