Where's the Malarone?

Today, I am introducing a new feature called “Where is the Malarone hidden today?” Malarone is the anti-malarial pill everyone in the family has to take every day. It prevents malaria from breeding in our blood streams should we be bitten by a infected mosquito. Nathan and Elizabeth have the hang of swallowing the pill as long as I hide it in a wad of cheese or bread. Dane, however, is a whole other story. You have to be sneaky to get him to take his Malarone; otherwise he will panic and spit out everything in his mouth, which is exactly what happened yesterday at breakfast. So at lunch, I hid it in his ravioli (thank you, Chef Boyardee!) and he unknowingly swallowed it whole. Today at breakfast, I hid it in Dane’s toast with jelly. Unfortunately, he bit into it, but still managed to get it down with much cringing and coaxing and two cups of water.

So, where was the Malarone hidden today? In the jelly.

Another new blog feature: Number of power outages each day.

Yesterday was a good day: no power outages. The day before, we had three. Today, we’re experiencing an electrical storm, so as of 12:45 p.m., we’ve had two brief outages, and now neither the satellite television nor the Internet connection are working (I’m writing this offline and will post later). The ceiling is also leaking water. Maintenance is on the way to check it out. And by check it out, I mean they will stare at it, attempt to diagnose the problem and send someone else to fix it later ... if we’re lucky.

Yesterday, Victor (our steward) called maintenance three times, and made two personal visits (one with me in tow) to get someone up to the flat to hang the shades in the master bedroom. We finally succeeded, but there are nine more shades that need to be hung. They promised to come back this morning at 10 a.m. to finish the job. Yeah, right. I’ve heard that before. In the meantime, the list grows longer. The kitchen cabinets are falling down and two of the air conditioning units are not functioning. I’m too tired to harangue maintenance today. I’m just so super glad to have privacy in our bedroom, I’ll live off that high for another day.

Comments

  1. Ok, now I feel bad. Moments after posting this, the carpenter showed up and is now hanging the rest of the blinds. And maintenance replaced a light fixture in the boys' bathroom (it took three men to do that job). The kitchen floor is still a marsh due to the leaky ceiling, but hey, progress is progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't feel bad - let them prove you wrong. I know it will be an adjustment, good to blog, so when its all fixed and perfect you'll have a way to remember where it started from

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spoke too soon. He hung five of the nine blinds and then his drill broke. So he'll be back in the morning. And now the a/c unit is leaking all over one of the blinds he just installed! It's kinda funny. At least I keep telling myself that. And you are right about blogging. It's a wonderful outlet and helps me feel connected to you all at home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like LOTS of RAIN! It is still SOOOO dry here. They have banned fireworks in Texas. Some of the city/big displayed are still going on. It is weird to see the firework stands not open. Happy 4th Susan and family!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment