A room with a view. Part II.

Our new place has lovely views of the lagoon, Ikoyi Island and beyond -- 18 lovely views, in fact! By way of 18 windows and sliding glass doors of assorted sizes and types. What does one do with so many windows? If one is lucky enough to have a sister in the business, you call her. Because there is nothing standard about the windows in our apartment. The dimensions range from 72 inches by 48 inches to 120 inches by 54 inches. Not sizes you'll find in the JC Penney catalog. Trust me ... I checked.

So I turned the challenge over to my fabulous sister, Brenda Baxter, who runs ... (pause for blatant commercial plug) ... Custom Drapery Designs, an award-winning, full-service, soft-goods firm that specializes in unique, high-quality custom design including wood and fabric window treatments (don't wait, call now!). 

Ahem, so where was I? Oh yes, windows. Call me a stickler, but I like my privacy and I'm kind of anti-sunlight, too. At least when at home (it's all that pale, pale skin). So Brenda and I worked together to find an economical solution to providing privacy, consistency and design. She suggested bamboo shades with room-darkening or light-filtering backing (depending on the room), and ... (btw, it is so hard to blog when you have a three-year-old demanding your attention every two minutes!) ... although we struggled to piece together the number and size of each window, thanks to the pictures we had, and with the help of my friend Kim who lives in the same complex, I think (hope) we did a fairly good job of mapping out the situation. And hurrah! Blinds are ordered and should arrive in the nick of time. 

Here's what we ordered. 

The back of a light-filtering shade. 
Top shade is a sample of the Lima-Tan (Bitsy's room), second is Sand-Chute (boy's room),
third is Lima-Pecan (master and family room).

I know covering a bunch of window sounds so trivial, but it is a load off my mind to have that tackled. Much better than tacking sheets to the wall for our first six months in the flat. 

Thanks, B!




Comments

  1. Thank you for the 30 second plug! I too am excited your windows are perfectly dressed! Now we need to tackle Skype..... so that I can survive while you are gone.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment