Dollhouse Cinderella story.

In 1974, when my big sister, Brenda, was in fourth grade, our dad built her a doll house for Christmas. For weeks before the big day, Dad holed up in the garage sawing and nailing away. The anticipation was intense! Finally, Christmas day arrived and it was time for the big reveal: A three-part, seven-room, furnished dollhouse complete with a bathroom that included (most conveniently) a purple bidet!



Santa brought me a tricycle that year. 

Loved for years by first Brenda, then me and later our younger sister K, that dollhouse finally ended up in my mother's attic where it languished in neglect and the bathroom fixtures faded from lilac to greige ... until the next generation was born and my mother pulled it out of the attic, cleaned it up and redecorated circa late-1990s for my sister's daughter Kennedy. And, a la Toy Story 3, the toy enjoyed a new life for many more years.

But sadly, about three years ago, with my niece approaching her teenage years, the dollhouse found itself once again covered in cobwebs and dust, and stored in my dad's garage ... until now.

The dollhouse is a perfect toy to take to Lagos with us. It's sturdy, just the right size for Barbies and, with a little love and attention, will be good as new. (Plus, I get the impression that my dad wants it out of his garage.) So, bring on the renovation!

I started with the demolition. Stripping the walls and floors of peeling wallpaper and linoleum. Ripping out the old bathroom. Then sanding and the prep work. And on to new carpeting, gleaming (imitation) wood floors, glass tile and fresh paint.

The old bathroom





See my Dad's original design notes written in pencil?
I discovered this under a crusty layer of white linoleum.
The decorating must have happened after Christmas day. 

And now it's time for the big reveal, part II (or III or IV ... this thing has had a lot of lives)!

Master bedroom

Living room  
Kitchen

Nursery

Breakfast room

Dining room

I wonder what will my kids and grandkids think of this decor in thirty years?

Comments

  1. Who would have thought? After 36 years the doll house is better than ever. Great job, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super job, Susan!! I remember that doll house. I loved it and I always wanted one like it. Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I am soooooooo excited you have given the doll house new life! This house looks like it could be featured on HGTV's home make-over shows....just in mini-size! Way to go sis!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment