Google is everywhere.

Not only does Google have a unique landing page for Nigeria (http://www.google.com.ng/), they also offer options to search in Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba (the languages of the three dominant tribes in Nigeria) and, yes, even Pidgin ... as in broken English.  


Nigerian Pidgin is a second language for at least 75 million people. It used as a lingua franca, or a common language that can be used between speakers of different languages. Some examples include: "You are coming, right?" becomes "You dey come?" "Man, that test was hard!" becomes "Nna, that test hard no be small!"

So how do you Google search in Pidgin? Frankly, I have no idea. I'm pretty sure you have to know Pidgin to try. The links on the Google page are all in Pidgin as well. Instead of the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button, you get "I Dey Feel Lucky" and instead of "Google.com.ng offered in [insert languages]," you get "Google.com.ng wey dem don give...".  

Need more search tools? Click "Extra tins to use find." You want to give Google feedback? Try "Tell us wetin you tink."

Think I'm kidding? Uh-uh. I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried.

I no dey joke.


Comments

  1. LOL!! I find myself saying things like "top it up" and "small small" so that hopefully someone will understand what I want sometimes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last night at Bottles, they forgot to place my order. I asked her to bring it quick quick!

      Didn't work.

      Delete

Post a Comment