A wing and a prayer.

This is it. We are officially setting off for Lagos on June 18 ... three days after we return from vacationing with Michael's side of the family. I can't wait for that vacation, but am nervous about leaving for Lagos. It is such a big wide UNKNOWN. Will I be happy? Will my kids be happy? Will we be healthy? Will the American school have spots for my kids? Will I miss my sisters more than I can stand? Will my nieces and nephews grow up and away while I am overseas?

Will we feel like birds in a gilded cage? Or will we feel liberated by our new-found ability to travel and experience the world in ways that few can?

As my neighbor Janis once reminded me (at a time when I really needed to be reminded), all I can do is pray. Pray that God's will will be done, and my family will thrive in the process.

We take flight on June 18 ... headed to Lagos on a wing and a prayer.

[Geek Moment: What does "a wing and a prayer" mean anyway? A Google search reveals that this phrase originated with the WWII patriotic song Coming in on a Wing and a Prayer, 1943, by Harold Adamson and Jimmie McHugh, which tells of a damaged warplane, barely able to limp back to base. It means, "in poor condition, but just managing to get the job done." Not sure we're exactly in poor condition, but if I can just manage to get the job done, I will be glad.]

Comments