Pottery Barn, eat your heart out.

You just can't buy furniture like this in the States (Amish country and North Carolina excepted). Solid wood, hand-made ... Pottery Barn, eat your heart out! It's hard to tell what you're looking at here, since the furniture is bagged up and disassembled, but I hope you can get a glimpse of the workmanship and wonderful solid-wood materials.





The furniture maker, Semiu, with one of his beds.
This one is for our friend Kim ... a gift he made for her as thanks for the referral.
Seminu was hired to make the furniture for our family and
four others moving to Lagos for this project. 

Michael moved into our apartment two weeks ago, and I have seen glimpses of the beds assembled and they are beautiful. No mattresses since those are on the overseas shipment (which I understand is still en route and expected to be tied up in customs until the end of March ... my poor computer!), but the beds give the place a feeling of home nonetheless. In the meantime, Michael is sleeping on a queen-size air mattress on the floor of our bedroom. The (hand-made) couches were delivered late last week. Michael showed me via Skype but no pics yet. You'll just have to take my word for it ... they look good!

Speaking of Pottery Barn, their catalog was the inspiration for many of the pieces we ordered. Once I have good pics of the assembled beds, I'll post "before" and "after" pics, so you can decide how well Semiu copied the inspiration.

Now about that moving date... We're looking at the week before Easter (April 17), which coincides with the American school's spring break. No word yet from Admissions Director on our chances of actually getting into the school by then, but I remain ever hopeful.

Comments